Thursday, January 28, 2010

One More Small Change

Month one of my small change challenge has been very doable, but also challenging at times. Mostly, because in addition to my new vegan diet I am also exercising more which leads to sore muscles, which leads to me wanting to stand in the piping hot shower for many minutes.  Some days I shut the water off anyway, but other days I allow myself the indulgence of a 7 minute shower. Next month my vow is even less plastic, and like the eager student I have always been, I started a little early. My bags had come in the mail last week, and I needed to go grocery shopping anyway so off I went to Big Y with my regular shopping bags, and my new veggie bags. They have a tare tag on them that says deduct 1.41 oz (.09 lb), so I was concerned at first that the cashier might not know how to deduct the tare weight....but all was well and I worried for nothing (yay for registers that figure all the math for you).  The bags are great! They hold a lot, and they're very sturdy which makes me glad that I spent the money. At first I thought I might just reuse the plastic veggie bags from the store, but they don't last more than 2-3 uses.  I was very happy too when the lady behind me asked where I had gotten them! When I first started using re-usable shopping bags, I was the only one...that I noticed anyway. Today, I notice at least half dozen others that use them. I'd like to think that people seeing me use these veggie bags will make people think, and perhaps do the same thing. Isn't that how change happens? Now comes the question of what to change next...but at least I have a month to ponder.
Happy Shopping,
Stacie

1 comment:

JustAnotherJenny said...

I have long hated the veggie bags, but it never occurred to me to search to see if there was an alternative! I need to buy these!