Monday, December 14, 2009

Changed my veggie balls recipe

This is starting to feel like a food blog! Since reading so much about the trouble with soy, especially the processed kind, I am now trying to limit my processed soy intake. No more soy milk, it's now rice milk or almond milk. Instead of TVP in my meatless ball or loaf, I have tonight for the first time used quinoa in its place. It changes every time I make it because it depends on what I have in my fridge, and what nuts or seeds in my cupboards. Unfortunately, it wasn't vegan because I used an egg, but here is the super easy recipe from tonight:

  • 1 cup of each chopped small or minced veggies- onions, peppers, carrots, mushrooms
  • 1 cup walnuts chopped
  • 2 cups cooked stuffing - I used this because it was leftover, but I normally use bread crumbs
  • quinoa (4 cups after cooking) I used Bob's Red Mill brand
  • italian herbs, salt, pepper to taste
  • 1 egg
Mix and let it sit for a few minutes while you get your cookie sheet/pan out and just cover the bottom with vegetable oil. Preheat oven at 400. Use a large melon baller to make the balls, and place on the pan. Cook for 15 minutes, roll them over and cook for another 15 minutes

Yummy, tasty and healthy! Here's some info on quinoa.

No comments: