Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Chickens!

I had wanted to post on Earth Day, but I got distracted. Besides, everyday is Earth Day, right?  I have made some small changes that will hopefully turn into bigger ones.  I am happy to say that I use less plastic, consume less water, buy less junk, eat less processed foods, and  I'm able to check a couple of things off my goal list! Here is a list of things that I wanted to improve on from a previous blog post:
  • More thrift store, less Walmart.
  • Eliminating dairy or as much dairy as possible, or at least using organic (local) sources.
  • Drink microbrews instead of imported beer, and local wine....this shouldn't be too hard!
  • We'd also like to install an alternative energy source like solar, wind, or geothermal units. I'm happy that my husband is on the same page, and we are doing the best we can and being great models for our daughters.
Changes:
  • I haven't shopped at Walmart in years, and I will be hitting a second hand store soon for some summer clothes for the girls.  I admit that I probably go to Target more often than I'd like....is that any better than Walmart? 

  • I plead the fifth on the microbrews, and local wine.  Bass Ale just goes down so smoothly. :) And I drink whatever wine my mother gives me.
  • No real alternative energy source just yet, but we are collecting rain water to help water the garden.  
  • I have eliminated dairy from my diet, but will soon be eating my own eggs, I hope, because 11 days ago we got 9 chicks! They're getting big already, and have started getting feathers, but I think that they are still cuteness.  
                                                                        4/17/10

                                                               Today- 11 days later
                                           
                                                     My dog really wants to herd them!
My girls have named the smallest one Nugget, which ironically they got from a PETA sticker that I have with a chick on it that says, "I'm not a nugget". The others that we are keeping will be named Henny Penny, Chicken Licken, & Chicken Little.

5 comments:

Kris said...

Wow- they really do get big fast! Best of luck with them. Target is the black hole. Stay away! lol

Uncle Brian said...

The birds are lookin good. Gonna have to up-size there pen soon huh. Are you going straight from the box to Dav's masterpiece? Or are you going with a bigger box first?
I see you've decided to keep 5 now.
Oh how hard it is to let go huh :)

So, have you found homes for the unclaimed?

Stacie said...

Hey Brian,
We just put them in the coop yesterday (with a 60 watt bulb). There's plenty of room for now, and Dave is going to make another coop with an old rabbit hutch from my Mom. We still plan on keeping 4 hens, and we haven't found homes for the others yet....who knows maybe we could keep more depending how this new coop turns out.

Uncle Brian said...

oops my bad...I just assumed that cuz you named 5 you were keeping 5.
But I bet you end up with more than you planned. :) Call it a hunch.

In any case, I'm wondering if I should go ahead with the prep for the two we discussed? Does that look like a sure thing?

Stacie said...

Nugget, Henny Penny, Chicken Licken & Chicken Little is 4. Maybe you thought one for Henny and one for Penny? lol You're right though, who knows! Sure, just give Dave a call and you guys can figure it out.